Menu Close

Lost, Texas

Vanishing Texas Architectural Heritage

Tag / Store


In what is a rarity among Texas counties, the county seat of Lipscomb County (Lipscomb, TX) is the smallest town in the county, is off the main highways, and lacks rail facilities.  The stately Classical Revival courthouse, designed and constructed in 1916 by William M. Rice, still stands in its original courthouse square surrounded by […]

Continue Reading

Archer City

Archer City is twenty-five miles southwest of Wichita Falls in the center of Archer County, of which it is the seat.  It was named for Branch Tanner Archer, a leading figure in the Texas Revolution and Republic of Texas.  The county was established and Archer City designated county seat by the state legislature in 1858, […]

Continue Reading


Murdock McDonald, born in North Carolina, had come to East Texas from Georgia in the 1830s.  Jackson Jones (Jack) Davis was born in South Carolina and came to Texas with his wife Elizabeth around 1845.  Both men bought property northeast of what is now Palestine and settled with their families.  When the International Railroad announced […]

Continue Reading


Originally established in the early 1880s as a cotton and cattle shipping point on the Texas and Pacific Railway, Loraine saw little development in its early years. A post office opened there in 1890, and a school was built in 1893.  A hotel, a grocery, and a hardware store reportedly operated at the site before […]

Continue Reading


Blessing is west of the junction of State Highway 35 and Farm Road 616 and twenty miles west of Bay City in northwestern Matagorda County. The town was promoted by Jonathan Edwards Pierce, on whose land it was established. In 1903, when Pierce gave the right-of-way to the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway, the […]

Continue Reading

Older Posts
%d bloggers like this: