Menu Close

Lost, Texas

Vanishing Texas Architectural Heritage

Tag / school

Victoria

  Martín De León, raised in Spanish Mexico to a wealthy, aristocratic family with ancestral ties to Spain, left his home in Monterrey in his early twenties to embark on a career as a merchant/trader. In the early 1800s, after several trips into Texas, De León began buying land and establishing ranching operations along the […]

Continue Reading

Kempner

Kempner is at the junction of U.S. Highway 190 and Ranch Road 2313, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and the Lampasas River in southeastern Lampasas County. It moved a number of times during its early years of development. It was first settled in the early 1850s, when a number of families named […]

Continue Reading

Salem

Salem School Salem must have been a popular name in the late 1800s, as there are seventeen of them listed in the Handbook of Texas.  This Salem was a farming community in southern Bastrop County south of Rosanky and two miles from Jeddo.  Originally known as St. Philips Colony, Salem was populated by blacks freed […]

Continue Reading

Scranton

Scranton Academy Traveling from Tennessee in 1875 to seek better lives for their families, David C. Lane and brothers Joseph and Aaron Brown settled in the western part of Eastland County and established the community of Scranton – named after a surveyor employed by the Houston & Texas Central Railroad.  By 1880 the community had […]

Continue Reading

Older Posts
%d bloggers like this: