Menu Close

Lost, Texas

Vanishing Texas Architectural Heritage

Tag / history

Bartlett

Though there were settlers in the area as early as 1851, Bartlett was founded when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company began surveying for a right-of-way in 1881. The town is named for John T. Bartlett, who with J. E. Pietzsch donated the land for a townsite. Town lots were offered for sale in […]

Continue Reading

Denison

The North Texas town of Denison owes its existence to the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (alternately MKT or Katy) and William B. Munson, Sr. Having failed to persuade the city of Sherman to attract the railroad, Munson purchased land on the MKT right-of-way several miles to the northwest of Sherman, with the railroad’s commitment to establish its […]

Continue Reading

Calvert

The earliest white settler in the area was Joseph Harlan, whose 1837 land grant lay five miles south of what is now the site of Calvert. In 1850 Robert Calvert, for whom the town was named, established a plantation west of the townsite. Calvert and other area farmers urged the Houston and Texas Central Railway […]

Continue Reading

Snyder – Update

In 1911 the Santa Fe Railroad opened a passenger and freight depot in Snyder – one of four Santa Fe depots designed by Kansas City architect, Louis S. Curtis, in the Art Moderne style. The identical depots were built within two years of each other in Sweetwater, Post and Lubbock. The buildings’ reinforced-concrete frame featured […]

Continue Reading

Older Posts
%d bloggers like this: