Vanishing Texas Vernacular Architecture

Posts tagged “Bank


Markham is at the junction of Farm roads 1468 and 2431, six miles northwest of Bay City in northwestern Matagorda County.  The settlement was first called Cortes and from 1901 to 1903 had its own post office under that name.  Cortes, named for H. W. Cortes, president of the Moore-Cortes Canal Company, was on the New York, Texas and Mexican Railway between Markham and the Colorado River.  In 1903 the Moore-Cortes Canal Company boosted community development.  That same year residents altered the name of the town to Markham, after C. H. Markham, an engineer for the Southern Pacific lines.

The building pictured above appears to have been a bank during its prime.  The corner entrance suggests that it was located on an important (probably the most important) corner of the town.  Brickwork on the building is quite complex - forming quoins on the building corners, pilasters, capitals, and friezes.  It’s a shame that vegetation has been allowed to engulf this little gem of a building.

The post office was established under the new name in 1903 and was still in operation in the early 1990s.  By 1914 Markham had become a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and had a population of 500. In 1925 its population was estimated at 400. Markham in 1936 had numerous dwellings and two schools, two churches, a factory, and about ten other businesses, including a hotel run by A. A. Moore.  By the 1930s Markham residents had established an independent school district.  During the school year 1937–38, eight teachers instructed 278 white students through grade eleven, and two teachers instructed thirty-six black students through grade seven.  The population of Markham was reported at 700 in 1943.  By 1949 its schools had been consolidated with the Tidehaven Independent School District. Markham constructed a public school complex in 1952.  In 1950 the community population had been reported as 300, and in 1965 it was 750, with seven businesses.  In 1970 the population was 603, which remained the reported estimate through the 1980s.

REFERENCE:  Stephen L. Hardin, “MARKHAM, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed December 11, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 110 other followers