Cele was established in the 1890s and was supposedly named for Lucille Custer, daughter of a local store owner. A post office opened there in 1896 with John Pitts Johns as postmaster. When the office was discontinued briefly in 1899, the community’s mail was sent to nearby New Sweden. The Cele post office reopened that same year but was again discontinued in 1902, when mail was routed through Manor.
The Cele Store was first established as the Richland Saloon in 1891. Although there was never much of an actual tow, the building was a combination general store, feed store, saloon and restaurant for the Czech settlers of the Central Texas area.
Marilyn Weiss and the late Marvin Weiss purchased the store in 1951 and ran it continuously for 56 years. In December of 2007, the store closed briefly but was reopened on September 6th 2008 by Brandon Fuchs, grandson of Marilyn and Marvin Weiss. The building has appeared in the several movies – A Perfect World (1999), Secondhand Lions (2003) and the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Cele is two miles west of Farm Road 973 and seven miles north of Manor in northeastern Travis County.
REFERENCE: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “CELE, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc35), accessed December 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.